05 December 2014

Finding a Cousin Hopefully!

After trying to tie the Veneziano pieces together I thought it was time to take the plunge and send a letter to the person I thought could be my second cousin. Here is what I sent and then I waited!


November 18, 2014

Dear Mr. Veneziano

I am writing you as I believe we are cousins.  I have been trying to identify my grandfather for the last 15 years.  I think we are related.  What follows is a lot of family research the details of which I am glad to share with you.

 Giuseppe Veneziano and Francesca Meglore of Caltanissetta, Sicily, Italy had several children.

Josephine was born about 10 January 1882 and married Sam Panichi in about 1903 in Italy.  She died in Chicago, IL on the 5th of February 1931.

Agostino was born about 9 June 1884 and immigrated to the US on 11 April 1904.  On 27 April 1907 he married Mary Branca in St. Louis, MO.  I am descended from this marriage.  He died in Chicago, IL on 24 September 1930 and the informant on his death certificate was his brother Vincenzo. 

Vincenzo was born about 14 November 1892/94 and immigrated on 22 October 1913.  In the ship’s manifest (Verona) he is going to see his brother Agostino at 901 Franklin in St. Louis.  I believe you are descended from this line.  Vincenzo took the name James and married Angelina Giliberto.  He was naturalized in 1918 while in military service and resided in Chicago at 823 Leavitt for many years.  My guess is that he went to California in the late 1940’s or early 1950’s after being a businessman with his own grocery store.  Vincenzo died in Burbank on 5 June 1955.  His wife Angelina died 16 September 1992.
Vincenzo “James” and Angelina had three children.

Giuseppe (Joseph Michael) was born 24 March 1923 in Chicago, IL and died 10 March 1995 in Glendale, CA.  I believe this person to be your father as you were the informant on his death certificate.  At the time you were living at 1032 Linden Avenue in Glendale.  So I have sent a letter to that address.

Francesca was born 20 March 1924 in Chicago, IL and married Harry Rulo in Chicago on 6 November 1949.  Harry dies in 1971 and she may have remarried to John Noce.

Carmelo was born 20 December 1925 in Chicago, IL and died about 28 August 2000 in Chicago, IL.  He married Anne Ranieri on 20 September 1958 in Chicago, IL.  She died in 2007.

I know this is a lot of information and if you want to discuss it, my home phone number is XXX-XXX-XXXX and I have enclosed a self-addressed stamped envelope if you prefer to use it. My email address is jeffreyvaillant@hotmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you.


Thank you very much for reading this and responding.

No comments: